Published on August 5th, 2022 | by Brian Hernandez0
Chicago Knows Best at Chicago US Pizza Cup
The ’22 Chicago US Pizza Cup
The National Pizza & Pasta Show
Chicago, IL., Aug. 23-24
The U.S. Pizza Team (USPT) and the National Pizza & Pasta Show (NPPS) hosted the 2022 Chicago U.S.Pizza Cup & Acrobatic Trials (CUSPC) August 24-25 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Ill., and the best pizzaioli and pizza acrobats from Chicago, the surrounding areas and beyond answered the call to competition.
Celebrating one of America’s favorite styles of pizza, Chicago style, competitors were asked to demonstrate their pizza prowess with both deep-dish and tavern-style submissions. A panel of local pizza celebs, operators and pizza industry vendors helped decide who has the best deep-dish and tavern style in the Windy City. On the line: a trip to take part in an international competition in 2023.
Overall “Best of Chicago”:
1. Lenny Rago, Panino’s Pizza, Evanston, Ill.
2. RC Gallegos, RC’s NYC Pizza & Pasta, Houston, Tex.
3. Miguel Gonzalez, Moretti Ristorante Pizzeria, Chicago
Freestyle Acrobatics Championship Semi Finals:
(Winner advances to Orlando to compete in Finals)
1. McKenna Carney, The Nona Slice House, Safety Harbor, Fla.
2. Kevin Knott, The Nona Slice House, Safety Harbor, Fla.
3. Matt Hickey, Davide Pizzeria, Pittsburgh, Penn.
Largest Dough Stretch:
1. Josh Owens, Mad Mushroom, Lafayette, Ind. – 30.81″
2. McKenna Carney – 28.88″
3. Kevin Knott – 26.75″
Fastest Pie Maker:
1. David Whisker, B.C. Pizza, Boyne City, Mich.—48.00 seconds
2. Kevin Knott – 54.22 seconds
3. Josh Owens – 59.85 seconds